Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Figuring it Out

One of the most difficult things I do on a daily basis is make decisions. I'm telling you, it is the hardest thing for me to decide whether or not to get coffee, what to wear, what to eat for dinner, etc. Eventually I get so frustrated I just give up and end up not eating, not getting coffee, or turning to my tips for picking an outfit. Those things I can get over. But if I struggle to make decisions like that, how am I supposed to make decisions on the bigger issues? Where do I want to be next year? What kind of person do I want to be? What kind of friendships and relationships will I allow and seek out for my life?

Before embarking on this journey (actually this is one of the things that encouraged me to turn back to faith), everyone told me to pray about my decisions and life events. So I did. I prayed constantly for guidance on jobs, friends, relationships and all the rest of the decisions that gave me copious amounts of anxiety for weeks on end.

Asking for help and saying prayers was easier than I expected - I'm the
girl who absolutely refuses to ask for help and is always determined to find her own way, so for me to suddenly be able to ask God for help was remarkable. The hardest part of all of this wasn't the asking, it was the waiting and then the understanding. Is this a test? Is this an answer? What am I supposed to do with this thought/feeling/event?

As always, when I fail to understand something, I turn to my friends for help figuring out what the thoughts I have in prayer or things brought into my life because of prayer mean and how I am supposed to react to them. These are the moments when I thank God for the amazing role models I have in my life. Liv and J never cease to have beautiful words of wisdom to calm and reassure my anxious heart and mind.

Today's message, don't be afraid to ask God for help or guidance and surround yourself with good people who will help you figure out what God is revealing to you.

"Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter, whoever finds one has found a treasure." ~Sirach 6:14

Pax,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment