Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Catching Up

I finally had my "catch up" meeting with the Campus Ministry staff members! What an information overload! I think I'm still processing most of it and I haven't even finished reading all of the handouts I was given.

The first thing I had to do to catch up was take a tour of the Chapel. The Chapel at my institution is
Chapel of the Immaculate Conception
called the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception (affectionately known as the IC) and it is probably one of the most beautiful creations I have ever seen. During my sophomore year here, the IC was renovated and the results were absolutely breathtaking. Unfortunately I cannot find any "before" pictures to allow for comparison, but the updated look can be seen to the right!

Much of my tour was spent looking at the amazing stained glass windows all around the IC. Through those I learned a great deal about Mary - everything from the connection between her and certain flowers (roses and lily of the valley to be specific) to her crown of twelve stars to the many Marian symbols and titles like the Immaculate Heart (we have an entire window dedicated to this)!

My tour provided me with opportunities to ask a lot of questions that had been floating around in my brain for a while. I had always wondered about some Catholic customs that were practiced on a regular basis, such as dipping one's finger in holy water and making the sign of the cross when entering a place of worship. The answer I received was incredible!

Before I even asked my question, it was explained to me that the sacraments are set up in the church
Holy Water Font
so that with each one, you move closer to God. At the entrance of the church, just inside the doors, is where baptism occurs. Baptism in the Catholic Church is viewed as the gateway to a spiritual life, so it takes place at the doors of the church to add on to the symbolism! Next comes Confession, which is why confessionals are typically located in the middle of the church. The journey is completed at the front of the church when a person receives the Eucharist. Catholics literally experience their faith journey every time they enter a church!

Through that explanation, I received an answer to my question: Catholics entering a place of worship dip a finger in holy water and make the sign of the cross to remind themselves of their Baptism! Super cool symbolism and reminder in my opinion!

I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. ~Matthew 3:11

Pax,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment