Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Me and My Blog

I've always admired bloggers, but I never really felt like I had anything to write about that was worth creating my own blog. I tried starting blogs a few times over the years, but I could never really narrow in on things to write about...so I quickly became overwhelmed.

Now, I have finally found something to write about! Recently I made the decision to take part in my University's RCIA program - Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults - to take the steps required to become Catholic! I am very excited (and anxious) about the journey I am beginning, as I have been out of touch with my faith for many years and I am now hoping to become a member of a very different faith community.

During my undergraduate career, I attended a Catholic Liberal Arts institution (at which I now work), but I was not Catholic and I had not been exposed to the Catholic faith very much. Throughout my four years there, I began to learn about Catholicism as a religion as well as the values of the Catholic Church that helped to make my university feel like a home, instead of just a college. Junior year I had an amazing heart-to-heart moment with some of my friends, and I knew in that moment that I wanted to be part of the community of believers that is Catholicism. Unfortunately, my young and impressionable mind was easily dissuaded from this decision when I told my (now ex) boyfriend about it - let's just say he was not the most supportive individual.

Junior year passed, then senior year and I did not reconsider RCIA again, even though it frequently crossed my mind. When my relationship ended in April of 2013, I felt lost. I spiraled down an unhealthy path that at the very least left me in a pit of despair as I grasped for any reason to take my next breath. I entered a graduate program and eventually found a job that I thoroughly enjoyed, but nothing seemed to be enough to pull me out of that dark place. Seeing my struggles (though not to the depth they extended), many of my friends invited me to attend mass with them on-campus, which I avoided for a long time.

Sometime in the spring semester, I finally gave in and joined my friend for mass. I had been to a couple masses before, but I never went because I wanted to, so I usually did not pay attention. This time I did and I felt inspired! I still struggled with that darkness for many months and it often overtook my will to attend mass or be faithful, but now everything has changed! My recent faith experiences have been too wonderful and numerous to squeeze into the end of a post, so they will be the topic of the next couple posts!

I am so excited to share my journey back to faith and to a new faith with you!

Life is a journey, not a destination ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Pax,
Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment